ASSISTED LIVING NEAR ME
As technology and innovation advance, more and more Americans enjoy longer lives. According to healthypeople.gov, seniors made up 46.3 million of the United States population in 2014. It has also been predicted that these numbers could increase up to 98 million in 2060. The growing number of seniors indicates the need for different options for elderly care, providing the best service for their condition and needs. During the ‘70s, a movement for assisted living took place as people realized the importance of senior care facilities for the elderly.
Fortunately, assisted living has not stopped growing since, even up to this generation. There are roughly 29,000 assisted living communities, including residential care communities all over the United States. Although every community offers primary care for every senior, they provide different environments and cultures, special activities, and distinct amenities.
What Is Assisted Living?
Assisted living is a type of long-term personal care for older people, from their daily activities to particular needs. Assisted living facility residents can live their life as they wish while getting the assistance they require. This can include food preparation, personal hygiene, and laundry help. In addition, almost every assisted living facility offers various activities and amenities for the residents’ well-being, including fitness centers, libraries, movie rooms, and dancing sessions.
Professionals treat residents with the utmost care, but it is important to note that they do not offer skilled nursing. Nursing homes are perfect for seniors who require top-level medical care from experienced medical professionals. Nevertheless, assisted living facilities can provide first-aid assistance, medication administration, and transportation for medical appointments. Assisted living facilities also make sure to have staff on-site 24/7 in case of emergencies.
Assisted Living Benefits
- Staff is present on-site 24/7. Leaving senior residents by themselves can be very dangerous, which is why assisted living communities make sure to have staff around them 24/7. Even though these facilities cannot provide high-level medical care, you and your loved ones will feel at ease knowing there is staff around whenever help is required.
- The staff takes care of the facility’s maintenance. Seniors should never perform household tasks as these can be life-threatening, especially for those with mobility issues. The staff is responsible for the facility’s overall maintenance, including housekeeping and apartment utility repairs, to ensure the residents’ safety. With this, seniors can fully enjoy their time at the facility without the burden of household maintenance.
- Personalized care is given to each resident. Every resident requires a different type of care according to their needs. The staff will only give the residents the care they need and not provide unnecessary assistance so they can still have the freedom to live their lives as they would.
- Socialization is highly encouraged. The activities and amenities offered by assisted living facilities encourage residents to socialize and mingle with each other. Educational classes and seminars, holiday parties, and entertainment rooms give residents a chance to socialize with each other and form friendships. Loneliness is among the feelings seniors fight as they age, and making friends with co-residents will help them shake that feeling.
- Seniors will not run out of activities to enjoy. Most facilities provide amenities for residents to spend their time and improve their wellness. Movie theaters, game rooms, grooming services like barbershops and salons, and massage therapy centers are among the most common features assisted living facilities offer. These amenities also act as gathering places where residents can socialize and make friends.
- Residents can spend their days however they prefer. Residents can choose whatever activities they want to do every day. The only scheduled activity they will have is their mealtimes. Other than that, they have the freedom to do anything they like, whether it’s running errands, participating in art classes, or just relaxing throughout the day. No one will force the residents to take part in a particular event or activity.
Care Services Provided in Assisted Living Facilities
Residents in assisted living facilities are free to live independently in the comfort of their apartments, but trained staff provides them various care services 24/7. Here are the typical basic services that assisted living facilities provide:
- Daily Living Services – Assisted living staff is available any time of the day to provide personal care to residents, including personal grooming (e.g., bathing, dressing up, trimming nails, etc.) and eating.
- Housekeeping Services – The staff provides residents with housekeeping services, such as overall apartment cleaning (e.g., sweeping, dusting, vacuuming, and bedmaking.) Laundry services are usually available in every assisted living facility.
- Overall Maintenance – Maintenance staff is available, so residents will never be troubled about fixing leaking pipes and burnt-out light bulbs.
- Safety and Security – Most facilities ensure the safety of seniors by assigning staff 24/7 for any emergencies that may occur. Most also include medical alert devices that residents can use whenever they need immediate assistance.
- Transportation – Many facilities provide transportation services whenever residents need to run errands, such as medical appointments and grocery shopping. Some facilities also offer private transportation services for an extra fee.
- Health Services – While not all assisted living communities have on-site doctors and nurses to provide top-level medical care, their personnel are trained to give first-aid and medication management. They can also provide appointment assistance for residents.
Is It Time for Assisted Living?
With numerous senior care services available today, it can be tough to determine what service is best for your loved ones and whether they would be better in an assisted living facility. Below, we have gathered some typical indications that say it’s time for an assisted living facility.
- Difficulty with daily living tasks – Seniors who have decided to move to assisted living facilities are mostly struggling with their daily personal activities, such as bathing and preparing meals. If your loved one is experiencing difficult times with these tasks, an assisted living facility would be excellent for them.
- Constant forgetfulness – As people grow older, forgetfulness becomes common. However, it can be troublesome and even life-threatening, especially for seniors. Some of the common problems seniors may have due to forgetfulness are missing medical appointments and forgetting to take their medications. Fortunately, in assisted living facilities, the staff can help seniors, from setting appointments to taking medications on time.
- Cleanliness issues – Most seniors experience mobility issues that massively affect how they work around the house. Observing how your loved one’s home is maintained can help you determine whether they need support. If their house seems dirty and unorganized, it might be better for them to transfer to an assisted living facility, as the staff there can help your loved ones with these tasks while letting them live their life independently.
- Safety concerns – Due to health issues, seniors are more prone to accidents, especially if they live by themselves. In an assisted living facility, the staff is available 24/7 to keep your aging loved ones away from accidents, so you can feel at ease knowing they are safe even in times of emergencies.
- Driving problems – Most seniors stop themselves from driving for their safety. However, giving it up means prolonged isolation. Seniors can benefit from assisted living facilities’ transportation services, whether they are going to an appointment, attending various events, or taking care of errands. This way, they can travel safely to and from their destinations.
Senior Living Selections currently provides assisted living services in 11 cities in Florida, USA. Look into them and discover the best location that will suit your loved ones’ needs and preferences. Feel free to reach out to us for help, and we will gladly assist you.